How to share a pdf document on blogger.

Day two of this blog as I prepare for my Palm Spring presentation.

Here is what I want to do today:  I want to create a document (i'll use Word) turn it into a pdf, and then attach the pdf to this blog so that you can download it and print it to use as a worksheet.


The pdf I'm creating today is a worksheet to help you navigate your own notions about writing and publishing.


To make it available to you on this blog, the easiest way (that I found) was to upload it onto 'google doc'.

To do this I believe you need a gmail address. Don't do this now, as I have a whole chapter on how and why create a gmail address.  Right now all you want to do is print this document, but I though this would be a good opportunity to show you how I made it available to you.

First log onto your gmail account
Then go onto google docs  or 'drive' (see those little squares? click there.)
Click on the red button to create a document
Write or paste the text.
Save by clicking 'share'
When prompted, open it up to everyone or a select few
Copy the link that is given to you and place it as a link on your website or blog.  When you upload a document on Google doc, and then click on the uploaded document it becomes a an internet address or URL  (meaning that it starts with http//:)

So here it is, tadah!  a pdf document you and other can now print and work with.

The best way for a document or a link to be discovered by search engines and therefore to come up on google searches is to attach a detailed description of that document or link, describing it the way someone might look it up on google.  So this document is about your beliefs as a writer.  (So I highlighted this sentence, clicked on link and pasted the URL of my PDF.


Here is the pdf.  Print it and fill it out, and use it as a worksheet to observes your firmly held beliefs, assumptions and certainties about you as a writer, as an author, about the publishing industry, about publishing in general.


Many of those could be crippling you into inaction. So it is important to take a look at them.

Please take a calm moment out of your day and fill this form.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This was working for me all these while but has suddenly stopped working for the past few weeks. Now users are able to open the shared pdf only if logged into their google account. Otherwise getting a blank page in Chrome and a blank page with a message Loading....in IE.

    Has anyone noticed this? any solutions for this? Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. We suffer over at ours from loads of traffic but very few commenters apart from our own group. Maybe this will help them? Love the blog.
    Gmail Account Support

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - I've searched all over the internet for some sensible advice and yours was easily the best one to follow. I now have a pattern PDF on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can I create a list using this blogger

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good method that i will be using to share all my pdf files with my audience on my blogger blog. Normally i prepare my ebooks in format then use a docx to pdf converter to get a pfd format.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your blog over a year ago and now I have my own blog where I published the first ever, end-to-end, English translation of the transcript from the 1913 Mendel Beilis blood-libel trial. I posted it on the centennial of the trial. I also wrote a book based on it and sold a copy within a year. Now I'm posting on urban legends about the Pentateuch, and about Biblical Hebrew, both of which have a steady readership. I know because it drops during High Holy Days when I don't post, and the readers come back after that. Also DIY, outdoors (mostly bird-watching) and gardening. Thanks for the PDF info, which was crucial to the Beilis blog!

    ReplyDelete